Thursday, July 18, 2013

"And We Will Never Be Alone Again Cause It Doesn't Happen Every Day"



Photo by Jana



Hey folks,

I’ve been dreading to write this post. I kept on looking for older pictures that I haven’t shared on this blog but today I sat down after a long day of work, determined to “face my fears” and write this bitchin’ post.
Don’t get me wrong – my last weeks in Canterbury were amazing. Brilliant. Incredible. I’m running out of adjectives to describe it. As soon as I was done with my exams I could really relax and enjoy uni life. I went out with the girls, went on a trip to Cologne, slept little but laughed a lot, my friend Bailey visited and I even made it to London twice!
It were those last few days that I remember most vividly – as if I was trying to soak it all in to remember it forever. Still, it all feels somehow like a dream now. Looking at the pictures, I’m wondering did this really happen? Did I really do all these things? And then, I’m also asking myself why I took so many pictures and there are still not enough to describe it all.
The first pictures were taken on campus by the Eliot footpath to town – there is this small labyrinth and Svenja and me decided to walk it before we went downtown. During the last days, I decided to walk more often than take the bus when I had errands to run, just because I wanted to see as much of Canterbury as I could before I left.





Then, there’s Marlies, Maddy and me just being lazy and enjoying the sun, reading, girl talk… all those things that I miss so much. In the first days back home I’d wake up, see the sun shine and be like “I could grab my book and message some of the girls if they wanna hang out” but then of course they were in Italy, the Netherlands, Slovakia…



Flowers in my hair like I just don't care.

No boyfriend available so we're taking care of each other.


Then there was the time when Myrthe and me went to the Ballroom for the last time. Also, Jonathan’s band played their last gig and Myrthe hadn’t seen them play before *gasp*. We actually managed not to pay for it by getting there early, which made us slightly feel like groupies, haha. All the pictures I took that night were two – of our drinks! Grrr, I’m angry at myself now because it was quite the night. Not only my last time at the Ballroom but also my first time at Club Chemistry - I finally made it in my last week, haha. Now, every time I listen to Florence+the Machine’s song “Spectrum (Say my Name)” I have to think of that night, a nice way to remember it ;)



One last walk on campus, trying to take a selfy with the cathedral in the background, which obviously didn’t work and seeing the bunnies play in front of the library once more.

If you look reeeeeally closely...




Venue for the last time! I almost didn’t go and then had to rearrange my plans for the night in the last minute but my girls were kind enough to share their food with me and to take me along to Venue. I mean, let’s be honest, I was quite the party pooper the first term and I never went to Venue that often but still, going there for the last time ever gave me a pretty weird feeling. It was the most incredible night but also the night when it really hit me that all these things were happening for the very last time.

Photo by Jana.

Trying to take a picture of the girls and some random guys wanted to be in it, haha.



I’m not gonna lie, my last day was just shit. There is no nice way to say this. The best thing about the day was waking up to an amazing breakfast (homemade pancakes, yay!) but pretty soon the goodbyes started. The moment that described it best was when I was at my neighbour’s house. We were talking about meeting up later that day for one last drink at Woody’s and all of the sudden he was looking at me, asking if I was okay and I just blurted out “No!” and started crying right there, in the middle of their hallway. Thankfully, Jonathan is very good of consoling a hopelessly crying girl who had to say too many goodbyes that day ;) Seriously, no fucks were given that day about who saw me crying and where. 

Saying goodbye to my last two remaining housemates Biz (whose photo I stole off Facebook) and Sebas.





Gosh, you guys this is hard even now! Thank you, I can’t say this often enough. I had the most amazing time. I’m not that type of person that gets speechless easily but… there are no words. These 10 months in Kent were amazing, incredible… especially my last days. I had a friend promise me that we’d make my last week a memorable one and we definitely did.

Still, for my own sake I probably should stop whining and complaining about how much I miss being in Canterbury together with all those amazing people and look forward. My internship is amazing and life's been good but still...

...It’s easier said than done. I mean, if something’s perfect, it’s even harder to let go, right?

To say it with the words of a literary mastermind:

How do you go on
When in your heart
you begin to understand
that there is no going
back?
- J.R.R Tolkien


Franzi

PS: There is no way I'm gonna translate this into German, sorry folks, hope you don't mind!

3 comments:

  1. You have the most amazing memories, and your photos are wonderful... and maybe one day soon you will be back in Canterbury!
    Much love to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've made this blog! I'm French and I'll be an erasmus student at the University of Kent, starting in september.
    I'm not gonna tell you the whole story but lately I am not so sure I've taken the right decision. But seeing your blog and how you seemed to enjoy your year there, it really reassures me!
    I hope it will be the best 10 months of my life!

    Thanks again!

    Maeva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maeva - thank you so much for your comment! I'm glad I got to help you look forward to your time in Kent a bit more. I don't know if you're going to read this but please feel free to contact me through Facebook (my name's Franziska Külbel) or email (f.kuelbel@gmail.com). I remember my first days in Canterbury and also the last days before leaving home so I know it's quite a confusing time... so, if you'd like to talk to somebody ;) I'm really jealous that you get to have that whole Erasmus experience, I wish I could go back to Canterbury in September as well!
      xx Franzi

      Delete